Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Self-Help Book You Should Read

  
   Most of the self-help books I've read that are aimed at women mainly focus on fashion crises, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance. As useful as it is to know those kinds of things, I have never been able to find a book that advises me on issues that we face in our regular lives. Things that throughout the years we have been taught to rely on men to fix. That is until I discovered this book and out of curiosity decided to read it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book despite some of the questionable things it contained, the specific advice aimed at men, and the fact that it got such a low rating on Goodreads. Besides, I noticed that a lot of the negative reviews that it recieved came from men stating that the book was full of common sense advice. Yet, most of the women that read it found it to be a resourceful book. Perhaps, I found it so knowledgeable because as a woman I never got taught how to change oil or the correct way to cut wood or how to negotiate a salary. This book provided me with a lot of things that other self-help books could not, it gave me insight on the practicality that one should have when facing difficult situations, and what to do in scary situations. For example, it teaches you what to do in cases where you are being followed and how to win a fight when it cannot be avoided. I wish more books that were aimed specifically with teaching women how to do many things typically seen as being more masculine were created. This book is great in that it is well-rounded, it teaches men how to dress better, how to cook better, how to fix things better, how to defend themselves better, and how to do nearly everything more successfully. More well-rounded self-help books for women need to be made because we need how to know self-defense tactics just as much as we need inspirational quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment